It has been over a month since Krystle Samai joined the Carb DM team as Executive Director, and it feels like she has always been a part of the family! If you’ve met Krystle at any of our recent events, you already know how warm and welcoming she is, how she bubbles over with energy and enthusiasm, how she makes people feel at ease. And if you’ve read our introducing Krystle post that we shared a few months ago, you’ll know that Krystle “gets” your reality — because she has worked within the diabetes community throughout her life, and because she has type 1 diabetes herself. That’s why Krystle works so hard on behalf of the diabetes community, and that’s why we’ve name Krystle as one of this year’s Diabetes Heroes. To help everyone get to know Krystle better, I asked her to share a few things about herself. Here are ten fun facts about Krystle Samai that you may not know:
1. I was born in Portland, Oregon and grew up between Sacramento and LA where my dad and mom lived respectively.
2. I have a younger brother and sister who both still live in Oregon.
4. I moved to the Bay Area to attend UC Berkeley where I studied Public Health and started volunteering at Bearskin Meadow Camp during the summers.
5. I love gardening and every kind of flowers. I’m kind of obsessed with always having herbs, flowers and plants around my house.
6. I used to work for a florist during the summers doing flowers for wine country weddings. Soo dreamy!
7. I wish I could have a pet, but my apartment doesn’t allow them. I’d have alllll the dogs! This is why I love volunteering with Early Alert Canines when I can.
8. I love to cook. I spent a lot of time last summer in Tuscany and took a few weeks of cooking classes while I was there. Cooking for the people I love is one of my favorite things. I’m in a “Cookbook Club” and we plan delicious meals around various countries/regions — half of our group is connected via the diabetes community. 🙂
9. I’ve always wanted to sail around the world. Last year I traveled around the world starting in SE Asia, then volunteered 4 months at an orphanage and organic farm on the Ganges River at the foothills of the Himalayas in Northern India, and lastly bounced around most of Europe visiting friends and family. Now it’s time to do it on a boat!
10. I’ve never had a cavity in my life!