Who We Are
The Carb DM team consists of Alison, Ana, Courtney, and our new Executive Director, Krystle Samai. Learn more about us, what we do, and let us know how we can help you!
Krystle Samai, Executive Director
Krystle comes to Carb DM with many years of deep involvement with the diabetes community, both personally and professionally. She has been living with type 1 diabetes for 24 years. Krystle began attending diabetes camp with her family the same year she was diagnosed. Later on, as a college student at UC Berkeley, she spent her summers at Bearskin Meadow Camp working as a camp counselor and director of their Leaders-in-Training program. Since college, Krystle has worked for DYF, Medtronic, and Asante Solutions. She also volunteers with Early Alert Canines. Krystle is excited to work with Carb DM to ensure the organization may continue to operate impactful and meaningful programs for the greater diabetes community. To contact Krystle email email@example.com.
Courtney Cameron, Outreach and Program Volunteer
Courtney’s youngest son, Zachary has type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed at the age of 15 months while living in Sitka, Alaska. They were forced to move 6 months after diagnosis. Zachary is now 10 years old going on 40 and is quite busy keeping his two teenage brothers, Derek and Connor, in line. Courtney is a stay-at-home military wife and mom. Her husband, Kevin, has been in the U.S. Coast Guard for the last 25 years. In 2012, shortly after arriving in the Bay Area she found Carb DM. She said the drive from Walnut Creek to Palo Alto was worth it to see her son playing with other kids like himself and to finally speak to parents who completely understood her fears and worry. Ever since that first Little Carbs outing, she has been hooked on Carb DM and been a volunteer and participant ever since. Courtney is responsible for Carb DM’s newsletter and outreach programs. To contact Courtney email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alison Pangburn, Finance Manager
Alison’s son, Michael, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2010 at the age of 12. Alison, Michael, and husband/father Jim have been attending Carb DM events ever since. Alison has been a stay-at-home mom to Michael and his sister, Lauren. Her background prior to having children was in accounting and systems analysis. With Michael, the youngest, off to college, Alison wanted to get more involved with the diabetes community. At Carb DM, she is responsible for providing accounting and fundraising support to the organization. Alison can be reached at email@example.com.
Ana Picazo, Social Media Manager
Ana moved to the Bay Area in 1993, working in software product management during the first dot-com bubble. After a stint at Harvard Business School and software business development, she left the workplace to become a stay-at-home parent. Ana began blogging when her twin sons were toddlers; eventually, blogging grew from a hobby to a passion to a second career. As social media manager, Ana manages Carb DM’s twitter page, Facebook page, and online blog. In addition to her work with Carb DM, Ana runs a personal blog, a product review blog and contributes to several Bay Area parenting blogs. To contact Ana email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re not sure who to contact, just email email@example.com and one of us will respond.
Board of Directors
- Melissa Anderson, Board President. Fundraising Consultant, Beechwood School; Parent Mentor and Advisory Board Member, Stanford Children’s Health. Daughter Katie diagnosed 2011 at age 11.
- Jeff Chang, Product Manager, Glooko. Adult with type 1 diabetes.
- Katie Craft, Child Life Specialist, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. Adult with type 1 diabetes.
- Linda Baer, Board Treasurer. Adult with type 1 diabetes.
- Susan Edwards, Board Secretary. Mother of a child with type 1 diabetes.
Advisory Board Members:
- David Maahs, MD, PhD, Professor, Department of Pediatrics; Chief, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Stanford University School of Medicine; Associate Director, Stanford Diabetes Research Center.
- Saleh Adi, MD, Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, Director, The Madison Clinic for Pediatric Diabetes, University of California San Francisco.
- Marina Basina, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Medicine – Endocrinology, Gerontology, & Metabolism Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Bruce Buckingham, MD, Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology, Stanford Children’s Health, Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Diana Naranjo, PhD, Clinical Assistant Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Stanford Children’s Health, Stanford University School of Medicine.